01 June 2016

Dare to Hug a Stranger?



This was a free hugs campaign done by yours truly back in 2011 around September or October; I can't exactly remember which month though. It was filmed by a dear friend of mine and yes, it is overdue for publishing. It conveys all of the good that had happened but it is not all that I wish to unveil. Henceforth, lies the nitty-gritty details that are not in the video.

Why Did I Do It?
The first free hugs campaigns was started by Juan Mann. It was a one man's mission to reach out and hug strangers just so that he could brighten up their day a little. He seeded the world to follow in his footsteps and I was one of them.

Everyone is struggling with life. Everyone is just figuring things out as we go through life - be it your parents, your friends, your spouse, your boss. Everyone could use a hug or a smile. Maybe it could brighten up your day just that little bit and help you get through some tough time.

So How Was It?
Most of the hugs I gave and received in the 1 to 2 hour campaign were from foreigners. There was an incident where one of guards from the buildings nearby had asked me to clear the premises. He told me that I needed to stop what I was doing. A lady pulled me away after that. She told me that I needed to move to some other place to continue. She was trying to help me and I offered a free hug but she declined politely stating that she is a lady and that she can't just hug a man.

Will You Do a Campaign Like This Again?
I'm was a very shy guy. It took a lot of self-convincing to do it in the first place and it has taken a lot of that again to publish this video now. I have asked others to join me in this campaign but none have stepped forward.  Whenever I mentioned to my friends about doing this, there were a lot of silence, and some slight criticism, but I went and did it anyway.

Here is the short answer - maybe. Maybe if I'm not doing it alone. The concept of a friendly hug is still foreign to a lot of Malaysians. I have to discern which of my friends are okay with a friendly hug and which are not. Sometimes that line is not so clear cut, but if you're having a tough time and need a little hug, all you have to do is ask for it. I am still giving hugs. Overall, it was an interesting experience and I am happy that I did it.


No comments: