24 February 2017

My Personal Goals for 2017

Photo Credit: Strandkorb On Beach by Dreamstime Stock Photos

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results.
-Unknown -

Yes, I know, it is kinda late to be writing down new year resolutions. However, I am a master procrastinator (still working on this one) and this is not really a new year resolution - it is more like goals for 2017. Personally, I had taken the stance that new year resolutions doesn’t work; the period is just too long and you don’t need to wait for a new year to re-evaluate your life and the things you want to do. The calendar is just a tool we use to measure the passing of days, but it is lie to state that these labels of days does not affect my mind in any way. It does affect my psyche, somehow. Hence, here I am, figuring out what I should be doing for this year. What changes I should make to give the best chances for me to obtain my goals.

Here lies the underlying rules that I am following:

  1. Five goals are to be written down in public so that others may keep me in check for self-control is unreliable. I am giving permission to whoever that is reading to pester me at any time for not following through with my goals.
  2. Achieve them in 6 months and not a year for continuous sense of urgency. A year is just too damn long. For me at least, a goal for half a year would keep me more on my toes.

And here are the goals that I have set for myself:

1. Rescue Diver
It is no secret that I love to dive. Every time I dive, I am immerse into a deep sense of tranquility. I am mesmerized by the beauty presented to me by the deep sea. I could not get enough of it. I want to do more of it and be more competent at doing it. Getting certified as a rescue diver is just the next step in my diving journey. Once I’ve gotten that, hopefully, I will be able to go for dive master certification.

2. Run a 10km Race in Under 1 Hour
In the runners’ cycle, it is called a sub one. This is something that I have wanted to do ever since I started running so let me just put this in the bag. It is a reachable goal but mind you, I have not been training for running in a long time and I am talking in terms of years. My aim is to do this for a race on the 21st of May, which is the Standard Chartered Marathon. I have already started my training and I am getting a doubtful as I have gotten my knees inflamed for just a mere 5km but I will persevere. If not this race then another one after. You can follow my progress in Garmin Connect or Strava.

3. Calisthenics Everyday
I want to have regular exercise almost everyday and calisthenics is a form of exercise that can be done almost anywhere. This is especially appealing when travelling; you don’t need go for expensive hotels that has a gym or a swimming pool. It doesn’t really have to be everyday but what I am aiming for is to make this a habit by doing it almost everyday. When I’m able to make this a habit, I will consider this goal achieved. You can follow my progress here.

4. Write an Article Every Month
(This one counts as one by the way)
Writing has been kind of a secret interest of mine and I want to get better at it. The only way to get better at anything is to keep doing it even when you don’t feel like it.
I am quite unsatisfied by the pieces I come up with. It just doesn't seem to be good enough to publish. It doesn't seem interesting enough for anyone to read. Probably the biggest reason I write so little is due to impostor syndrome? I don't know. Even implying that I have such a syndrome, sounds arrogant. I am just going to publish whatever once a month and try to get better at it. Please do comment and provide tips. Your help is much appreciated.

5. Cover a Song Every Month
Another interest that I wish to get better at is music - singing and playing an instrument to be exact. Honestly, I wish I have better equipment to be doing this and that is part of the problem. I always keep thinking that I don’t have enough equipment, know-how or just doesn't sound good to be doing more of this. I need internalized this great quote from this excellent musician - music itself should be its reward for playing it. I'm paraphrasing and I got this from Dave Grohl by the way. What it means is that we should play music for the sake of the music and so that is what I will be doing. Don't worry about what others think of my music quality and just play on.

Once any goals is achieved, I would just replace them with another and I already have some in mind. Anyway, I need to focus on these 5 first. The whole idea here is to write down achievable goals, focus, and be accountable for them. If anyone wants to follow, please do. If you need me to bug you, I'll be more than happy to help. I am not positive if these methods would work any better than anyone else's methods but this is an experiment. I am just trying a different approach. It might work for me. It might not. We won't really know until 6 months later. Until then, let's just keep an open mind and work for our goals.

No comments: